Restaurant Staffing: Ask the Right Questions
When interviewing potential new servers, try asking questions that will uncover the applicant’s strengths and challenges… and find out what’s really behind that friendly smile.
- “Tell me about yourself.” Watch body language here. Is there eye contact? Smiling? Good diction? It’s more important that a person can communicate well here than what is said.
- “Have you been applying with restaurants or other businesses?” If so, what type? Those who truly enjoy serving others are only looking for jobs that involve service.
- “Would you consider yourself to be an honest person?” Of course, an applicant will say “yes” here, but then make this request: “Tell me about a time when you demonstrated your honesty.” Was there an honest response?
- “On a scale of one to 10, how hard do you work?” Then ask “Why do you rate yourself a __?” A truly hard worker will mention past work schedules, school achievements, athletic endeavors, etc.
- “Why do you want to work here?” If you don’t hear an answer that includes the applicant enjoys working with people, keep interviewing.
Get More Restaurant Staffing Tips
The restaurant staffing section of our blog is dedicated to helping you meet your staffing goals. Check it out!
Never miss an article. Subscribe to RTO’s Blog